Crag Lough at Hadrian's Wall, costing £15 per person.
Get adventurous with an abseiling taster for all the family; abseil approximately 16 metres down the dolerite rock-face of Crag Lough. No experience is needed, the event is aimed at beginners.
This particular event is run in partnership with the National Trust. Bookings can be made via:
- The Hadrian's Wall and Housesteads Fort events page
Alternatively if you would like more information on what we can offer please go to our climbing page.
Pinpoint Adventure and National Trust: Abseil Adventure at Crag Lough Guidance Notes
The abseil adventure takes place at Crag Lough, Hadrian’s Wall (Northumberland). Crag Lough is an impressive dolerite crag situated just beneath Hadrian’s Wall. We will meet in Sycamore Gap (NY 761 676) located to the east of Steel Rigg viewpoint car park (Signposted Hadrian’s Wall Steel Rigg) just north of the B6318 (The junction next to the Once Brewed / The Sill visitor centre). Please familiarise yourself with how to reach Sycamore Gap – as a rough guide it takes approximately 30 minutes to walk from the car park.
We will meet in Sycamore Gap at one of the following timings 10:00, 10:50, 11:40, 12:30, 13:20, 14:10, 15:00 and 15:50 (finishing times are approximately 40 minutes after the start time). A member National Trust staff will lead you to the start of the abseil where you will meet Tom. At the end of the session you will have the choice to return directly to the car park or to enjoy the surrounding area, please note we cannot be held responsible for anything which takes place after the end of the session.
What does an Abseil Adventure involve?
- This is an excellent introduction to abseiling involving a 16 metre abseil (Approximately 52 feet) on the western end of Crag Lough. The overall aim of the session is to have an enjoyable and safe time.
What do I need to bring?
- Yourself (a basic level of fitness is required to abseil, although you will need to be able to walk to and from the crag itself over rough terrain)
- Warm clothes (although we will try to remain as active as possible there will be times where you are stationary, please bring enough warm clothes)
- Waterproof jacket and trousers (We can still abseil in the rain, although your safety and enjoyment take precedence – i.e. if it began to rain so heavily it became dangerous to abseil)
- Trainers or walking boots – that you don’t mind getting scuffed and a little muddy
- Participant Information Forms – filled out (to be given to Tom when you arrive)
- Food and drink (Crag Lough has spectacular views over the surrounding countryside, so a food and drink break are highly recommended)
Pinpoint Adventure will provide:
- All specialist abseiling equipment:
- Belay devices and karabiners
- All rigging equipment, including: all ropes, wires, cams, karabiners and rope protectors
- Semi-static and dynamic abseiling ropes
- A qualified and experienced instructor (Normally this will be Tom).
Any further queries:
If there are any questions you wish to ask please contact Tom (see below).