Crag Lough at Hadrian's Wall, costing £20 per person.
Try rock climbing at the atmospheric Crag Lough right below Hadrian’s Wall, with an introduction to movement skills, harnesses, belaying and climbing calls.
This particular event is run in partnership with the National Trust. Bookings can be made via:
- The Hadrian's Wall and Housesteads Fort events page
Alternatively if you would like more information on what we can offer please go to our climbing page.
Pinpoint Adventure and National Trust: Outdoor Climbing Adventure at Crag Lough Guidance Notes
The outdoor climbing adventure takes place at Crag Lough, Hadrian’s Wall (Northumberland). Crag Lough is an impressive dolerite crag situated just beneath Hadrian’s Wall. We will meet in Steel Rigg viewpoint car park (Signposted Hadrian’s Wall Steel Rigg) just North of the B6318 (The junction next to the Once Brewed / The Sill visitor centre).
We will meet at the Steel Rigg car park (Grid ref: NY 750 676) at either 9.30am (morning session) or 1:00pm (afternoon session) to leave for the crag; a member of National Trust staff will walk you along to Sycamore Gap arriving at 10am and 1:30pm respectively (Finishing times are approximately 1pm and 4:30pm). At the end of the session you will have the choice to return directly to the car park or to enjoy the surrounding area (e.g. walking the path alongside Hadrian’s Wall), please note we cannot be held responsible for anything which takes place after the end of the session.
What does an Outdoor Climbing Session involve?
- This is a 3 hour session in which we will look to do some bouldering and bottom rope climbing, whilst developing movement skills and learning how to belay and tie a figure of eight knot. The overall aim of the session is to have an enjoyable and safe time.
What do I need to bring?
- Yourself (a basic level of fitness is required to climb outdoors and you will need to be able to walk to and from the crag itself over rough terrain)
- Warm clothes (climbing outdoors can be cold although you will warm up very quickly once you’re climbing)
- Waterproof jacket and trousers (We can still climb in the rain, although your safety and enjoyment take precedence – i.e. if it began to rain so heavily it became dangerous to climb)
- Trainers – that you don’t mind getting scuffed and a little muddy (Although we are able to provide a selection of climbing shoes some people may prefer to climb in their trainers)
- Participant Information Forms – filled out (to be given to Tom when you arrive)
- Food and drink (Crag Lough and Steel Rigg are set in spectacular countryside, so a food and drink break are highly recommended)
Pinpoint Adventure will provide:
- All specialist climbing equipment:
- Belay devices and karabiners
- All rigging equipment, including: all ropes, wires, cams, karabiners and rope protectors
- Dynamic climbing rope
- A qualified and experienced instructor (Normally this will be Tom).
- Climbing shoes (Although as mentioned above please bring trainers).
Any further queries:
If there are any questions you wish to ask please contact Tom (see below).